Saturday, August 27, 2011

Educational Art


Antique Flash Card Wall Border



My mother-in-law passed away several years ago and after the family cleaned out all of the things that meant something to them the rest was left for trash.  This has been my favortie time to look at the things no one else deemed important.  I ran across these old, yellowed, flash cards.  My mother-in-law was a teacher in many forums besides the typical classroom.  She taught Sunday School, Cub Scouts, Grandkids, kids, and me.  She always had educational things around her house, like these, flash cards.  Her mother was also a teacher.  I wonder if they could have been hers.  This is a reminder of her love of education.

I have them in my back hall acting as a charming border at the top of the kitchen doorway.  Everytime I enter through that hall I see her smiling at me, I have a unique border, and I put my mind through the paces of mathematics.  Anyone who knows me knows I need all the help I can get. I am lucky to have had her in my life.  I miss her dearly and hope she knows how important every mundane detail of her stuff is to me.  I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment