Friday, November 25, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Cake







2008 Found us in a our current residence and I was making Thanksgiving Dinner for my parents and my mother-in-law.  I went all Rachael Ray with my recipes and we had a great meal.  My mother-in-law showed up with this cake.  A CAKE!  Who brings a cake to Thanksgiving?  This is the holiday where pies rule. . until you taste this cake!  Think crustless pumpkin pie with a crumb topping made with CAKE MIX!  Another thing I don't typically use!  This was utterly delicious.  A couple of notes, my mother-in-law was terrible about organizing things.  Her estate was filled with bags, boxes, and piles of recipes from magazines, newspapers, and on handwritten pieces of paper.  We had asked her for the cake recipe and she couldn't find it.  I did find it while sorting through mountains of recipes and a picture of Mary Jane Buck with her son, Tommy taken in 1964.  The recipe came from Mary Jane and we are glad to have located it and passed it down this year.  It stole the show.  It is seriously good and easy to make--so easy a child could do it!   



My mother-in-law, Marilyn in her high school years.  Simply beautiful. 


MARY JANE BUCK'S PUMPKIN PIE CAKE

3 Large Eggs
3/4 C Sugar
1-15oz Can Regular Pumpkin
3 tsp. Pie Spice
1-12oz Can Evaporated Milk

Topping
1 package Yellow Butter Cake Mix or Butter Pecan Cake Mix (we used yellow)
1 Generous Cup Chopped Pecans
(They toast while the cake bakes)
 1 1/2 Sticks Butter, Melted






My son, demonstrating making this cake.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place eggs, sugar, pumpin, pie spice (I used cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and nutmeg to taste as I didn't have spice mix)
and milk into mixing bowl. 





Mix througly

















Pour into a greased 13 X 9 Cake Pan









Sprinkle on Cake Mix but do not mix into batter. 





Sprinkle on Nuts and Drizzle on Melted Butter



Place Cake in Oven and Bake 50 Minutes Until Knife Inserted in Center of Cake Comes Out Clean.  Cool in Pan.  Serve with Favorite Whipped Cream Topping. 
We Served it with Whipped Cream flavored with Vanilla and Powdered Sugar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment